Every time we travel and visit new places I normally look for tradition, for those dishes which tell the story of that place. Every place has its own story hidden in some old recipe. Well, I try to read that story through flavors, flavors which help me taking a piece of that place with me back home. This is what happened in Linz. I was dying to take a bite of the traditional cake, the Linzer Torte and I remember how upset I was when I found the pastry shop near my hotel closed. The following day, first thing in the morning I went there to buy it and I couldn’t wait to go back to the hotel so I ate it taking a walk along the Danube. Oh, sweet memories – tasting the finely ground almonds mixed with lemon-infused spices and the sour confiture made my day. That remained the taste of Linz for me.
As these days I miss Austria with its lovely Christmas markets I will go back in a culinary journey baking the Linzer Torte.
I must confess that I made some adjustment to the original recipe but , even though I did so, it was disturbingly delicious .
- 150g unsalted butter
- 250g flour
- 150g powdered sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- 1tbs vanilla extract
- lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1/4 tbs cloves
- baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 400g raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 190° C
- Knead the butter and the sugar together.
- Add the flour, almonds, spices, baking powder and one egg mixing until dough comes together.
- Chill the dough for an hour.
- Divide dough into quarters. Roll three quarters of the dough in a baking pan ( I used one of 24cm) to a thickness of 1,5. Prick down the dough a couple of time with a fork and cover it with the confiture.
- Shape the remaining dough into strips laying them on top of the confiture layer as a grid and on the edges.
- Lightly beat the remaining egg, daub the grid with it and sprinkle with ground almonds.
- Bake for 40 – 45′ until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
Enjoy your Linzer torte !! I definitely enjoyed mine ;)
Hugs and kisses!