Finally a long weekend after a stressful and hard work period in the office. Waking up late, a cup of coffee without rush, the comfort of my pijama till lunch, reading, good music, going out for a walk, nature, sun shining. What on earth could make our days happier? Maybe something sweet
I remember one of the best cakes I’ve ever eaten that Mr. DD’s mother used to bake and sweet memories went through my soul: coloured flowers bathed in the sun, the smell of roasted nuts and of the dessert just taken out from the oven, powdered sugar falling slowly down on the cake, the smell of fresh coffee around a story. I miss those moments.
As my fridge didn’t gave me the opportunity to prepare my husband’s mom cake because of the lack of the necessary ingredients, I baked this dessert which is someway similar to the abovementioned cake: Ciambella with Yogurt and Pistachio.
- 3 eggs
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 100 g butter
- 200 ml yogurt light
- 70 g ground pistachio
- 70 g dried cherries
- 160g sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 30 ml amaretto
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Grease the baking tin with butter and coat it with flour
- Put the cherries in a glass with the amaretto and leave them cca 30′ to hydrate
- Melt the butter
- Pour the flour in a large bowl with pistachio, grated lemon zest and salt.
- Beat the egg whites stiff add sugar and a tablespoon of lemon juice, beat again until stiff again and add yolks yogurt, melted butter, vanilla extract; mix with a whisk 4-5 times and add the flour mixture; add the cherries and mix gently.
- Pour into the baking tin, level it and put in in the oven.
- Bake for 30-40′.Do not open the oven during the first 20′
Let it cool and powder with confectioners’ sugar before serving. It is very quick and simple.
You can also bake it in a plum cake tin.
This cake is soft and flavored, perfect for breakfast, an afternoon tea or a coffee
I’ll let you with Susan Enan wishing you all a lovely week!