It’s been a while since I prepared a chicken casserole but every time I think of it it comes to my mind my grandma’s recipe, made with fresh ingredients, normally with some backyard chicken and some fresh vegetables picked early in the morning dew. Cooking for my grandma was some sort of a ritual. She would wake up early in the morning, would prepare all the ingredients and cook with calm so we could have a wonderful lunch. When I would wake up , I would find her in her tidy kitchen, full of all sorts of delicious flavors which would make even the pickiest ones’ mouth water.
Chicken casserole was one of my favorites. A tender meat bathed in a fragrant sauce of fresh vegetables served with hot polenta or creamy mashed potatoes. I would always go for a second round :).
This month for the Daring Cooks challenge Simona @ Simona’s World proposed her chicken casserole recipe, a recipe that reminds me of childhood and I was happy to prepare it even though I made some changes.
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 shallot
- 1 red pepper or capsicum
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 100ml white wine dry
- 200ml chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer chicken to a ovenproof casserole dish
- Add shallot and sliced pepper to the frying pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add 50ml wine and let alcohol evaporate. Add to casserole dish with the chicken together with the half cut tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add wine, chicken broth and thyme
- Cover the casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Bake in oven for 35-40′ minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove from oven. Taste and season with pepper.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or with polenta. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.