I love August. I love it because of its calm. Being a holiday month, the city is almost empty. So quiet. No traffic, no rush, no queues. There’s this strange habit in Italy for everybody to go on holiday in August. Well, this year we broke the rule and I find it quite pleasant. I love this new face of Milan – everything seems to have slowed down a bit and you can actually enjoy the city, crowded with tourists in search of new things to visit and some quick shopping. And it’s not so hot anymore. It’s just perfect. That’s why I can heat the oven and enjoy some quality baking time.
However, it’s summer and we do have to keep it simple. That’s why, I found these tomato tartlets a fair compromise and a good reason to heat the oven for an exquisite mediterranean dish.
With only few ingredients you can prepare these mouthwatering tartlets that will impress your guest and spoil them with such great flavors. What else would you expect when you have feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, leek and oregno together on a crispy puff pastry sheet. You know what I mean, right ?!
- 100g marinated feta cheese
- 1 small leek
- 1 rectangular sheet of puff pastry
- 12 cherry tomatoes (125g)
- 50ml dry white wine
- 1tbs olive oil ( you may use the one in which the cheese was marinated)
- Himalayan pink salt with herbs – to taste
- Tellicherry pepper – to taste
- fresh oregano
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Drain marinated feta
- Cut leek in half lenghtwise, slice halves into thin strips; heat oil into a frying pan, add leek and wine, season with salt and pepper and cook it, stirring occasionally, about 20′ until soft
- Cut the pastry sheet into twelve 6cm x 8cm rectangles, place them on a baking tray, fold the edges over to make a 5mm border around the pastry, brush them with beaten egg and prick pastry pieces with a fork; bake them about 10′ or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let them cool; with a fork press pastry pieces down to flatten. Reduce heat to 180°
- Spread 1 tablespoon of leek mixture over each tartlet, crumble one pieec of the cheese over each and top with sliced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and bake about 5′ or until tomato just softens.
- Garnish with oregano leaves and serve immediately.