As the strawberry season has begun, I decided to take full advantage of their freshness and flavor. And I guess that you’ve had plenty of time to realize that I’m a big fan of the simple recipes that do not require too much time and extra skills :). That’s why I’ll share with you a very simple dessert from the quick and easy family – so simple, and yet, so darn good. Few ingredients, strawberry flavor, sweet and sour – crispy with a hint of almond – a mix of aromas that capture and spoil you from the first bite.
- 500g strawberries
- 3tbs honey
- 1ts vanilla extract
- 1ts balsamic vinegar
- 25g ground almond
For the crumbles:
- 125g flour
- 75g brown sugar
- 75g cold butter
- 100g almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Wash the strawberries, hull them and cut them in four
- Put the hulled strawberries in a bowl with honey, balsamic vinegar, vanilla and ground almonds. Let them rest
- For the crumbles: combine flour with sugar in a bowl and rub in cold diced butter until you get a sort of crumbly dough
- Grease a baking dish (or few small ones as I did) with butter
- Place the straberries evenly at the bottom and drizzle the syrup on top
- Tip the crumbles on top of the strawberries mixture, add the scliced almdonds place the baking dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 30′ until the crumbles and the almond flakes become golden brown and you can see the strawberries syrup bubbling and seeping over the edges
I wish I could describe you the smell of caramelized strawberries that embraces your kitchen. Uhm..how could I? Let’s see…think of you in your childhood, when your neighbour was baking something sweet and the smell of fresh baked dough with a hint of vanilla and a slight note of fruit was surrounding the whole neighbourhood so that you would go to sleep with the thought of your neighbour’s tart? Add some caramel and toasted almonds and you’re almost there.
The strawberry juice mixed with honey, bubbling angry while trying to find its way through the crispy crust, seeping over the edges is the one to blame for the fragrance spread in your kitchen
The truth is that you find yourself willing for the time to pass quickly, so that you can break the crust with you spoon through the crispy almonds, releasing the imprisoned strawberries and putting an end to your pain, treating yourself with a spoon full of delightful flavors.
If you wonder what’s the balsamic vinegar has to do with this, I’ll just tell you that the right amount of balsamic vinegar enhances the strawberry flavor and with honey the result is heavenly.
What else can I tell you? Oh, yeah, that it completely vanished and there’s only left a pleasant culinary memory and some pictures.