A while ago I was telling you how excited I was about my new toys: the biscuits stamps, Petits sablés maison and Emmanuel Hadjiandreou’s book, How to make bread, an extraordinary book that shoul be in every foodie’s library, especially of those who are discovering the magnificient world of baking of sourdough bread.
I entered this world few months ago and I learned to listen to “my creature”, to understand it and to become more confident with every bread I make.
But, today we are not here to talk about my “creature” and, coming back to the book I was telling you about, when I got it, I was amazed by both its structure and its recipes. I was so excited – I wanted to try them all.
Inspired by one of Hadjiandreou’s recipe, “Brioche”, I decided to satisfy my craving and I gave it a twist adding some dulce de leche and here’s what I got:
- 250g flour
- 60ml warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 100g butter
- 85g sugar
- 3tbs raisins
- 2tbs Amaretto
- 3/4 ts salt
- lemon zest (grated)
- 20g fresh yeast ( or 10g dry active yeast)
- 1 egg
- 2tbs almond flakes
Dulce de Leche
- 1 can of swetened condensed milk
Dulce de Leche
In case you do not have dulce de leche youc an prepare it at home using a can of sweetened condensed milk.
Trying more ways to prepare dulce de leche at home, I got to the conclusion that the one that suits me and the one I prefer is David Lebovitz‘ s method:
- Pour the milk in a heat resistant dish
- Set the dish in a larger pan and ad hot water until it covers half of the dish with the milk
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven at 200° cca 1h or 1 1/4h ( checking from time to time and adding more water if necessary)
- When it becomes nicely brown, dulce de leche is over.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. When cold whisk well until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Put the raisins in amaretto and let them soak for a while.
- In a mixing bowl mix the flour, salt, sugar and lemon zest; This is the dry mixture
- In a larger bowl, dissolve the yeast in milk .
- Beat the eggs and pour over the yeast mixture.
- Add the dry mixture to the egg mixture and mix until it comes together.
- Cover with the bowl that had the dry mixture in it and let stand for 10′
- After 10′, knead the dough for a 1′ or so.
- Cover and let stand for another 10′.
- Knead the dough and add the soaked raisins. .
- Repeat steps 7 și 8.
- Take small pieces of butter and press them into the dough. Knead the dough until the butter is incorporated into it. Cover and let stand for 10′
- Knead the dough for the last time, cover and put it in the fridge for 1h.
- Transfer the dough on a greased sourface, roll it out into a rectangle about 2cm thick and brush it with dulce de leche; cut the dough lenghtwise into 6 stripes and put them one of top of the other than cut the stripe in another 6 pieces; fit these into a greased pan
- Let it stand in the pan for 1h.
- 20′ before baking it heat the oven to 180°
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with almond flakes .
- Bake for 45-50′
Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar It’s perfect for breakfast – a sweet treat with a hint of caramel.
Let yourself spoiled and don’t forget to eat something good today! <3
I send this recipe to Sonia’s Voglia di Lievitati @ Oggi pane e salame, domani…