“Wine and cheese are ageless companions, like aspirin and aches, or June and moon, or good people and noble ventures” – M. K. Fisher
I don’t remember well, but I think I have already told you that when it comes to food there are few things I couldn’t resist to and cheese is one of them. If someone told me that I should to stop eating cheese, that would be a big problem. I mean, like a really big problem. I don’t recall a type of cheese I don’t like. Or, maybe yes, I don’t really like ricotta. it’s too sweet for my taste, but I could live on cheese forever.
Mozzarella has a top place in my favorite cheese list and I like it because it’s soft and creamy. I normally keep it simple and I love the mozzarella, tomato, basil combination – a few drops of good quality extra virgin olive oil – salt and pepper – and that’s it! Delicious. But hey, who am I kidding? Who doesn’t like it after all?
And because I love simple dishes that do not compromise the flavors of the ingredients I prepared this baked mozzarella with tomato sauce, basil and garlic – simply irresistible. The perfect comfort food for an autumn meal.
- 2 mozarella di bufala (2x125g)
- 250ml tomato sauce
- fresh basil
- fresh thyme
- two cloves of garlic
- fleur de sel de Camargue
- fresh ground pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Put the tomato sauce in a bowl, add salt, pepper, few fresh basil leaves and two tablespoons of olive oil and mix well
- Drizzle some oil in each ramekin, add two tbs of tomato sauce , the garlic clove crushed and the sliced mozzarella; divide the remaining tomato sauce in two and pour it over the mozzarella.
- Top with a slice of mozzarella, season with some pepper and few drops of oil
- Bake for 15′-20′ until the cheese has melted
- Drizzle with olive oil , sprinkle some fresh basil and thyme.
Serve with crostini or toasted bread.
Remember, keep it simple!!!